Thursday, February 27, 2020

The Jeweler



Sometimes , when I look in the mirror and notice my earrings, I recall for a minute the smiling, kind face and  sweet french accent of the one who has  sold them to me - the jeweler from the Shopping Center passage.

At the end of that  year of the earrings' purchase, I returned to the jewelery shop . I had some buying plans for the new  upcoming year, and I thought that would be the best place to get quality at a decent price, and excellent customer service.

The shop was closed.  There was an obituary both on the window and on the entrance door.  I was shocked. The man was barely middle-aged, too young to die.

I entered the neighboring shop to get some information. Had he been ill? was it an accident?
"He was murdered", came the neighbor's answer."The police had arrested a suspect".
Murdered?!!  I was shocked again.

There were customers in the neighboring shop, so I couldn't go on with  my questions, but I promised myself to get the whole story. 
I supposed it was a robbery attempt that went  wrong. 

As I happened to know someone on the board of our local newspaper I asked to have a word with him on the matter.He informed me that the story won't be published  any time-  at the specific request of the deceased's family.

It appeared the jeweler  (married, with wife and kids) was sexually involved  with a young man, in charge of the cleaning of the shops in the passage. The young  lover was arrested by the police and charged with murder.

Whenever I'm in the vicinity, and enter the shopping passage, I see deterioration: empty, closed shops , frequent change of names and ownership, messy place with items displayed outside the shops, etc..
It occurs to me that perhaps it's some kind of punishment, having to do with the fact that a murder has been committed here, a soul has been taken away by force and it's crying above.



When buying or renting property people usually take interest in the price, physical condition, proximity to important places. Few are interested in the dark history of the asset such as past tragic events involving death. These few are usually people who believe in superstitions or have religious/mystical beliefs,  and they probably won't buy/rent the asset or part of it after all.


37 comments:

  1. What a horrible story. God heal his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, murder is always horrible; it happens daily somewhere on the planet. And there's the family that has to live with its consequences, to consider.

      Delete
  2. This seems like the plot of an Agatha Christie mystery, Duta. It is particularly sad when situations like this occur because people are reluctant to reveal their sexuality due to social pressures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - 'social pressures', 'reluctant to reveal', are key phrases regarding the people of this sad story.

      Delete
  3. What a story Duta! Interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. Life around us is interesting: happiness and sadness side by side.

      Delete
  4. My goodness! I guess some folk are superstitious and, when learning about the bleak history, it would weigh heavily upon them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people are pragmatic; they concentrate on the now and won't ask about past events. However, if told about shadowy stuff, that might affect their decision. People are more superstitious than they would care to believe about themselves.

      Delete
  5. What a sad story! I feel for the wife and children! Imagine the shock of it all! I am glad the newspaper didn't print the story. How hard it was for the family; how terrible it would be if they had to deal with the media wanting more and more and more and I'm sure it would have been picked up by international news, etc.

    Here in Arizona, at least, if you are selling a home you have to disclose if anyone died in it, whether it be a natural death or whatever the circumstances. Not sure I would buy one if a violent death occurred in it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with your view, Betty.
      I find the info on Arizona very interesting; that is the disclosure is demanded by law. Fair enough.

      Delete
  6. What a sad story, I could almost feel your shock as I read your account of what happened. It is always sad when people we know or have met die young, but it's even more so when they die tragically like this. Thank you for sharing this reminder that life is so very very short.

    Wishing you well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's someone you've met, first comes shock and then sadness.That was my reaction to the death of the jeweler. Life is indeed short and unpredictable.
      Wishing you well too!

      Delete
  7. Oh that's sad and I can understand your shock over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I approached the shop thinking about the beautiful items I was going to buy, and suddenly, unexpectedly saw the obituary.
      Well, shock is almost an understatement.

      Delete
  8. That's really a very sad and horriblle story !Fortunately where I am looking for an apartment there were pastures and cows and no people at all ! Really scaring if you have to look in a city !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it's a second-hand buy, not a new appartment, you're probably going to check things thoroughly.
      Anyway, Good Luck!

      Delete
  9. What a tragic and sad story, Duta. Certainly we can all understand why the family made its decision not to publish any information. It seems the jeweler made a terrible choice in this person and not only did he suffer but his family as well. And that may be the even greater tragedy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Family doesn't always know about the double life of their dear one, and they are left to struggle with a heavy complexity.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Oh, yes Natalia; so unlike your food recipes which make us happy, pleased, delighted.

      Delete
  11. Oh goodness, I was saddened to read this.

    On a brighter note, as we are now in March, may it be a good month for you Duta.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, March ! First month of Spring, considered by some religions/nations as the first month of the year/the best month of the year; the time when animals wake up from hibernation.
      May it be a good month for you, too Jan!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Indeed. Sad stories make us sometimes cry, but they reflect the darkest side of our existence that we should be aware of.

      Delete
  13. Just echoing the others' comments, such a sad story and so tragic. I always look for a "silver lining" in the sadness, and I suppose there is one, as he was a jeweler. Agreeing with Sandi's prayer above that God heal his family.
    Blessings and Peace be with you Duta!!♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A jeweler sells beauty, joy especially to women. He'll always stay in the memory of the one that wears the jewelery piece designed/sold/fixed by him.

      Delete
  14. How very sad, Duta. This story breaks my heart for so many reasons -- the murder itself, its impact on the man's family and his fellow shopkeepers and the passage that is now seeing challenged times. It is heartbreaking.

    But on another note, thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog. I'm grateful for every word you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartbreaking, indeed; yet it makes us contemplate life, and become aware that it is not all rainbows and roses. Our life experiences also include sadness and tragedy.

      Delete
  15. What a horrible story. God heal his family.loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Lord! He just created a problem. he married with wife and had kids, so actually he was okay; but it is about life and yes, it is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad story, DUTA. Also, it's usually always about the money... Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a sad story and an even worse outcome, and so hard on the family and others. We never know what goes on behind the scenes. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very sad story Duta.... I personally am always interested in the history of a building of any kind. I always feel that a violent past seems to impregnate the very fabric of a building or place as is often shown in my B/W photographic blog....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its a sad story. It certainly isn't easy to know what goes on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, if the family didn't want the story out, do you think it ethical to write about it on your blog, Duta?
    The poor family doesn't need the shame of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, but there are some ten years since the tragic event. Probably nobody except his family even remambers him. I do remember him ,and wanted to write a few words in his memory. I know no one of his family, so that made it easier for me.

      Delete