Friday, December 6, 2019

Sunrise, Sunset




Daylight

I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory
And a new day will too begin
(Lyrics - 'Memory' song from 'Cats' musical)


*
Masada  sunrise (near the Dead Sea )  - web picture

I seldom get to watch the sunrise as I'm not an early riser, but I've seen a lot of sunsets ; they are a source of endless fascination to me.

I like the symbolism of these two nature phenomena : sunrise symbolizes the beginning (of day, of life), sunset  symbolizes the end (of day, of life).  I also like the many wise lyrics, and quotes on the subject.
As for superstitions, there are quite a few, but usually associated with sunsets. especially with their red color - as a sign of storm, blood and war.

In the center of my hometown, there used to be a ballroom dancing school named Arthur Murray (after the dance instructor who opened  dance studios all over the world). It's closed now and the place serves as a youth center for smart kids. 

I sometimes happened to be near the school, in the evening hours while dance lessons were going on, and the sun was gradually setting behind the structure. Music, dance, sunset - what an uplifting sight and feeling that was! (The facade had big windows enabling passersby to watch the dancing couples).

sunset behind ballroom dancing school

The distant blue strip of the religiously famous Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret) and a spectacular sunset -  are the usual noteworthy sights on the road going down from uphill holly city Safed (Tzefat) to the little pittoresque town of Rosh Pina lying at its foot.


blue strip of Lake Kinneret


sunset on the road down to Rosh-Pina

I was coming home from a commemoration ceremony near Jerusalem, and along the road from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv  I couldn't keep my eyes off the stunning sunset seen through the bus window.

sunset seen through bus window on the road Jerusalem-Tel Aviv



And here's the Mediterranean  Tel Aviv Promenade with an amazing sunset reflected in the water!

sunset at the Tel Aviv promenade

Nothing, however, compares with the  sunsets at the Marina of Herzlyia city; the orange and red colors are mind-blowing.


sunset at the Marina of Herzlyia town


*
sunrise, sunset
sunrise, sunset
swiftly fly the years
one season following another
laden with happiness and tears

(Lyrics - "Fiddler on the roof" musical)




29 comments:

  1. As you say, Duta, much has been made of sunrise and sunset, both factually and allegorically. The one thing that we can all agree on, I am sure, is that they can both be spectacular. In times past we might have been content simply to be awestruck. Today we run for the camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, both can be spectacular.
      As for the camera , well, we're all familiar with the cliche: 'a picture's worth a thousand words'. The camera helps preserve moments of great beauty and value.

      Delete

  2. Beautiful photos, Duta!

    Isn't it something that we watch the same sun rise and set, though we are a world away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi.
      Indeed, it's a great thing that despite the distance between us, we share the same sky, look at the same sun and moon.

      Delete
  3. Hello Duta, I love your thoughts about sunrises and sunsets. Those minutes shortly before the sun sets can be special too - the soft light.
    Your photos and recollections are lovely and isn't it a good feeling that, with all the materialistic 'needs' 'wants' being thrown around on social media ... a simple/magnificent moment in time can give us such joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.
      Yes, a few moments of sunrise/sunset can give us such beauty and happiness that we're able to forget our materialistic needs and even our social media platforms.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sunsets, and a beautiful song from 'Cats'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs from both mentioned musicals are immortal. The actors/singers Barbara Streissand and Chaim Topol - the creme de la cream, the very best.

      Delete
  5. You have a lot of sunset photos, Dutie :)
    I think I don't like sunrises as I connect them with nasty memories. I had to walk an hour to school (and then an hour back) which meant I had to wake up at about 5AM in order to prepare myself and get to school while it was still dark, so it is a negative memory for me, especially because I also travelled by train to college in the early mornings watching the sunrise from the extremely crowded train carriages, sometimes even in total darkness because in 1999. bombs were falling on us all night long. Sunsets, on the other hand, can be very pretty, but I think I mostly miss them because that is when I'm still working. I do hate when the sun sets early in winters and it is dark already at 4pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I do - and not all of them are displayed here.
      I don't have, though, sunrise pictures. It's not that I haven't had the chance to get one or two, but in the early morning, photography is not my calling. It's when I still want to sleep and have some sweet dreams.

      Delete
  6. They look so much alike that sometimes on photos I don't know if it is a sunset or a sunrise ! We have beautiful sunsets in Belgium, very spectecular with lots of colors. Unfortunately as the sun is very stingy with us, I see them rather seldom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, actually there are some factors that make sunrise and sunset look slightly different:
      - the place and light where the photo is taken
      - our eyes adaptation
      - pollution during the day
      - color; sunsets are more reddish.

      Delete
  7. I usually see both the sunrise and sunset because my dog wakes me up early to go out and I take him out around sunset as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunrise and sunset are one of the most beautiful things in life, love those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you on that. These two natural phenomena we're blessed with daily, are beautiful, meaningful, inspiring.

      Delete
  9. You are right about the contrast and about the beauty of sunrises and sunsets. I love them desperately, though I only tend to see the sunrise in the winter! But sunsets? Year round. I love Fiddler, so I was delighted with the song. I've seen that show several times and it never fades. It might be more powerful today than when written. I especially loved the photo of the sailboat masts. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sun/rises,sets and songs like those in Cats and The Fiddler enrich our life with divine beauty and musicality. We get inspired and feel renewed each time again and again.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy Fiddler on the Roof!
    It is a wonderful time of year for sunsets and sunrises. Our critters are alway on the move at these times. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes that's a very beloved musical!
      Indeed, late fall and winter are favored times for sunrises/sunsets - explained by the fact that in summer air cirulation is more sluggish.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful post and your photos of sunsets!!I love them all. I feel a peace in my heart to see them. Thank you!

    Music, dance, sunset, such a joyous combination!! Praise God for He brings on the evening and the morning with His word!! Blessings and Shalom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's all God's work.
      Sunsets do bring peace and serenity to our souls. We certainly experience these feelings when watching a sunset.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous, for sure! I've seen a lot of both around the world and they always amaze me. I'm an early riser and sunrises from our house are hard to see with all the trees but we saw a fabulous sunset a couple of evenings ago, all bright pink. Love Fiddler on the Roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People unanimously agree that sunrises/sunsets and Fiddler on the Roof are gorgeous, and worth seeing.

      Delete
  13. You've shared such beautiful photographs, and I enjoyed the lyrics from the two songs as well as reading your words too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've enjoyed the photos and the songs. The lyrics and music of these classic songs will hopefully enchant many future generations.

      Delete
  14. You are very good in capturing every moment, Duta, excellent photos.
    I like to see both sun rise and set. Your words and the lyrics of the two songs are very impressive.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evi.
      Some of the photos were captured through the bus-window, and yet one could get the right idea about the beauty of the sunset.

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you like the images with the sun in my post.

    ReplyDelete