Friday, December 15, 2017

Lake Kinneret - Water Level Indicator.



We usually don't have snow or particularly nasty weather here in winter to discuss or write about. Our daily, favorite topic is ...the water level of Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee). This lake is Israel's only freshwater source, so we depend a lot on it, and its water level has become something of a national concern and, sometimes...a national joke.

The Lake - calm and peaceful

On Tuesday, I went on a day trip to Tiberias (Tveryia, in hebrew), the town on the western edge of Lake Kinneret.  Among other things, I 'paid a visit' to the water level indicator, located at the southern part of the Alon boardwalk.


see its contour of the lake

It was a  pleasant stroll along the promenade as the weather was fine, but when I arrived at my destination, I got 'surprised' by flies; they landed on my face and annoyed me. Well  -  warmth ,  a big body of water, and probably poor sanitary conditions in the surrounding area, did it for me (yes, bees, flies and mosquitos always pick Me up).

In the background- a church; rowing club in its yard

The  water surveyor, installed by the israeli water company "Mekorot", is an interesting sculpture with the shape of the lake, and some inner mechanism.  It's both, an enviromental work of art made of metal , and - a practical digital device for indicating the water level of the lake. I was impressed by its simplicity and practicality.


close to the water level indicator 

digit segment  led display in the upper right part of the device

On my way back to the town center, in the little open -air art park across the famous Scottish compound, I noticed a replica of the water level indicator made of stone  (sadly, it already had a big crack).






 

24 comments:

  1. I`m excited to see your post on the Sea of Galilee!!
    because that is where Yeshua started his
    ministry!! Thats so amazing you are so near to there:) So I really enjoyed seeing the details of the place and the water indicator, and your visit there.
    Blessings and Shalom! Happy Hannukah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed,it's very moving to be close to the lake where it is believed Yeshua (Jessus) walked on the water and met his two first followers, two fishermen brothers.

      I can sure understand your excitement. The place, despite its peacefulness , arouses great emotions in a lot of people, and not only in Bible readers and believers.
      Happy Hannukah to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. This is so interesting about the Sea of Galilee. I guess it’s not very big to be the only water source for Israel. The contour of the lake is neat then small one cracked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything about the Sea of Galilee is interesting. I'm not an expert on water matters, but I know that much that we're very dependant on the freshwater reservoir which is this historically famous sea.

      Delete
  3. Alice found a wonderland in your place.
    It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Alice seems to be good in finding wonderful places. Delightful girl!

      Delete
  4. Interesting & informative. Creative sculpture. The Sea of Galilee - Is this the sea that opened up to allow Moses & the Israelites to cross & escape the scourge of the Pharoahs ? (Probably not)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the sea that opened up for Moses was the Red Sea. The sea of Galilee is where God's son - Jessus (for christians)/Yeshua (for jews)walked on its waters and lived close to the lake for some time.

      Delete
  5. That crack is so sad.
    We're in the depths of winter, here. The water levels are pretty high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish to believe the crack was done by climate elements not an act of vandalism.

      Well, the water levels here are pretty low. There's talk of drought, but we still have two months of winter, so rain could still surprise us with large quantities of water.

      Delete
  6. Hi Duta! I hit something and my whole comment disappeared, so will try again and hope you don't see it twice!
    After seeing the gorgeous palm trees, I can imagine that you have nice warm weather most of the year. Here's hoping that there is plenty of rain to fill the reservoirs.
    This sounds like a great day trip! I can't imagine how inspiring it would be to see the sea where Jesus walked on the water.
    Thanks for the interesting post! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are looking for thrills, and this region offers a thrilling experience, especially to those religiously-oriented.

    Still no rain here,and that's quite a worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blog! I usually complain when it rains but I hope it rains soon over there!

    http://hungrycaramella.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We need rain whether we like it or not when it's raining. No rain means shortage of water, dry soil, no crops, no food.

      Delete
  9. I love rain and never complain about it. Water is our life blood and without it, we would have no life.

    Fortunately, here on Tamborine Mountain we're dependent solely on our own water supply...meaning no reservoirs or dams. Rainwater and bore water. The mountain aquifer gives crystal clear, pure water in abundance. There is a bore on this property. Many other properties also have their own bores.

    However, I still don't waste water...it is a most precious commodity.

    I always find your posts very interesting, DUTA. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Water is our life blood.." - true words, Lee. To check the level of the reseroir every day is sad business.

      It seems you live in a good area, where rainfall is ok, the Mountain acquifer takes good care of the residents' water needs, bores on properties, and so water is abundant.

      Delete
  10. We had rain, rain, rain this past summer and the weather forecast is more rain. Usually by now we have a bunch of snow, but not this year. I don't miss the snow but I'm sure it will be here soon. Wish I could send some rain your way.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! We have clouds but no rain. I beleve these clouds won't dissappoint us and by the end of the week we'll all get wet. Perhaps.

      Delete
  11. Have been away Duta, but wanted to stop by and wish you a safe and very happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you had a wonderful time wherever you've been.
      Happy Holidays to you too!

      Delete
  12. I didn't know you lived close to the Sea of Galilee, oh my. What a very special and sacred place.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. I live in the center of the country and the Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret) is in the north. I took a day trip, I sometimes do that (I'm retired).

      Delete
  13. how is the water level in sea of galilee nowadays??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has risen considerably after the last rainfalls (9 cm ; 3.5 inches).
      Thanks for asking.

      Delete