Thursday, July 30, 2009

'Digging' at Bezalel market



No one really knows where the good stuff, sold here at ridiculous prices ,comes from. No one dares ask how this merchandise from well-known store chains and top fashion designers has turned up here, and who are these people that sell it. It is believed that there's a worldwide net which gets hold of the fine stock of surpluses. and distributes it , probably by dubious means, to its members in various countries . As for the people who sell it - my favorite place, for instance, is run by a drug addict, quite a character.

The price is a great bargain, but there's work to be done. One has to dig for the precious items deep into piles of clothes displayed both on the outside stands and inside the shops. And, in my case, when I get home I sometimes have to activate my sewing machine and make a few adjustments to the newly purchased items. But every effort is worthwhile. It's such a delight to wear a "Marks & Spencer"outfit , knowing that you paid for it five dollars only ! And I don't wish to know how the stuff got here. There, I said it.

"Bezalel" , a tiny clothing market (also of some home appliances and gifts) is situated in the very heart of Tel-Aviv city, close to its bigger brother, the 'Carmel' general market. It includes a short street and two small lanes. The attached photos were taken in the main street area.

I've received two kinds of reactions to one of the photos (guess which):

Men : ' Oh well, You had to capture only half of her and ruin a good photo'
Women: 'Why on earth did you have to bring in that half milk cow and ruin a good photo'
The truth is I haven't even noticed the 'a la Dolly Parton girl ' when I pointed to shoot. I'm definitely in favor of showing the whole thing. not half of it.


trouble with the nose or with the smell?

she's got lovely Love earrings


religious orthodox women looking for kids' clothing


interesting patch on the pants of the young woman

29 comments:

  1. You so capture the flavour of the city. Your two middle photos made me laugh, and I think it is so much better to capture moments as they arrive rather than have staged photo-shoots. Great photos. I felt I was sharing the city with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera,

    Smiling and laughing are good for our health. So, I'm glad two of the photos made you laugh.
    I agree with you about capturing moments as opposed to staged photo shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! And, I wouldn't care where that stuff came from either! A bargain's a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, the problem is that I HATE to shop - so even though it's a good deal, the fact that I might have to dig through stuff to find anything puts me off. But I wouldn't mind visiting with someone else who wanted to dig :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect many of the bargains on designer label merchandise are in fact counterfeits. I know you can get Rolex watches in Los Angeles for the price of a Timex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun, Duta :) When I come to visit my BFF in Israel in October I will have to have her take me here. What impresses me is that the streets are so clean! We have shopping areas like this one in Los Angeles, but they are filthy dirty...you are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place!

    Funny how men and women see things differently too, isn't it? LOL

    Have a Wonderful Day, Duta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pictures! The picture of the religious orthodox women shopping looks like they could be shopping at a sidewalk sale in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really, I don’t consider this place. For me it is a poor one, but you make me feel its specificity.
    I enjoyed reading the text and watching the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arika,

    I'm glad you like my photos, and I agree with you as to the source of he stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Bug

    Digging could indeed be tiring and put one off. It's quite usual to see here a bunch of women: mother, daughter, grandaughter,daughter-in-law. The younger ones do the 'digging' and the mother approves/disapproves of the findings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. TallTchr,
    I'm aware of the counterfeits issue. I would like to believe, however, that as far as quality of fabric and seam is concerned, it's hard to deceive me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TheChicGeek,
    Usually, the place is far from clean. It's the Middle East, remember? Everytime I happen to visit the place I notice a deterioration . Maybe it's due to the fact that there are plans to demolish it and move the market to some other location.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bica,
    And you know what? The vendors aren't crazy about them 'cause they come in bunches and make a lot of noise, but these women are a great consummer force.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rahel/Rodica,
    Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed my text and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy flea markets, and there is always a favorite in every large city.

    I love the digging and the treasure finds, what I don't enjoy is the hard sellers. They really ruin it for me when they are calling after you trying to get you to buy their stuff. Maybe it is because I am a softy and will buy stuff just to make them happy.

    Love the photographs! Have a wonderful day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angelina,
    I'm glad and honored that you've decided to follow my blog.

    I see that we are alike as regards treasure finds in markets , and the hard sellers.

    Have a wonderful day too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pictures of "everyday" life as its happening and your wonderful sense of humor. Thank you for the glimpse into your world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa,
    Hi Lisa, You've made my day with your warm comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so enjoyed your pictures and posts. It's a chance for this country chick to see the world. You have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nezzy,
    Thanks for stopping by.Glad you enjoyed he posts. A nice name you have, and I like it how you call yourself " a country chick".
    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Duta, It's so great following you and your blog. I would never get to see such amazing places without you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. C.Hummel Kornell a/k/a C.Hummel Wilson,

    Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice, warm comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these candid photos of an Israeli market.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey you're in Israel are you? You couldn't by any chance recommend me the best Hebrew language course you know by any chance?

    I'm trying to learn Hebrew and it's going terribly!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did learn the alphabet though, plus the script version. Which must be something ...?

    ... surely ..??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gledwood,
    There are a number of possibilities. You could try and find out whether there are hebrew courses at the israeli embassy or the nearest consulate. You may inquire about such a course at the Jewish community in town, or at he local university. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gledwood,
    Yes, indeed it is something. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete